Oftentimes the terms tummy tucks and liposuction are thrown around interchangeably. And while they are related, not every tummy tuck will need liposuction and vice versa. So…how do you know if liposuction may be right for you? Let’s start with an explanation of what it is.
Liposuction is a surgery to remove fat in the “love handle” area and reduce the abdominal and hip fat that isn’t removed with a tummy tuck procedure. It’s ideal for moms who don’t have widened abdominal muscles or a lot of stretched-out skin from pregnancy and don’t need a tummy tuck. The procedure can also reduce areas of fat around the “bra strap” area, as well as remove fat from the thighs and buttocks. It is also used to improve the appearance of cellulite in the thighs.*
How Does It Work?
Liposuction means, literally, fat removal by suction, performed using specialized techniques and protocol. Several types of techniques and equipment are in use today, with various names or acronyms that seem to improve their marketability, not necessarily the results. The most popular are laser, power-assisted, or ultrasonic-assisted. For larger areas, I often prefer to use ultrasonic-assisted liposuction in combination with the well-proven tumescent anesthesia method.
Things to Consider
Since we are dealing with surgery, I always ask that my prospective patients do some self-reflection when it comes to the procedure they are considering.
Regarding liposuction, here are some questions for you to honestly answer:
- Have you made a real effort to lose weight?
- Are you within 20 percent of your ideal body weight?
- Do you have type 2 diabetes? Are you a smoker? Both can limit your wound-healing ability.
- Are your love handles and other stubborn fat deposits really upsetting you?
- Do you have realistic expectations? Liposuction can only remove small amounts of fat in selected areas. It isn’t weight loss surgery.
- Will you continue to eat well and exercise after the liposuction? Weight gain will undo the benefits.
- Have you had previous abdominal surgeries or radiation treatment that produced scar tissue that could complicate the procedure?
The main thing to understand: liposuction isn’t meant to be a major weight-loss solution. Instead, it is appropriate for an individual who has been striving to live a healthy lifestyle filled with eating well, working out, and achieving close to her pre-baby weight.
Music City Plastic Surgery
3803 Bedford Ave, Suite 102 | Nashville, TN 37215
Phone: (615) 567-7586
Office Hours: Monday – Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm